Last week Mattie and I ventured to the end of the world and I ate a bison burger at this really cool little cafe called The Beet. I should assure you that it really wasn’t the end of the world, but for a Torontonian, The Junction might as well be! It is a cute little ‘hood with loads of refurbished furniture stores and a small town vibe. The Beet is also pretty cool as it is housed inside of an old bank and everything and I mean everything is recyclable and sustainable. Pretty darn cool. There I had a bison burger-without the bun of course-and while it was yummy and it was my first time having bison- I felt like I could do better. I blame the onion-to-meat ratio.
So Sunday night I decided to attack the bison burger concept. I really had no clue what I was going to come up with and as it turns out if I had added bacon (I sadly ran out) and a fried egg it would have come dangerously close to an “Australian Burger” – who knew that the Aussie’s had an official burger?! Apparently so. It is comprised of fried egg, bacon, pickled beets, onion, pineapple, lettuce and a burger patty.
Skeptics may raise their eyes at this but it was actually quite yummy. I grilled the burgers and the pineapple and sautéed some sliced red onion to top it off. In place of pickled beets I made a spicy, sweet, and slightly tangy beet ketchup that was full of flavour and was completely Paleo friendly. I layered everything on to a bed of dandelion greens and the end result was a smorgasbord of flavours-sweet, tangy, spicy, bitter, and all around yum.
I ate it was a side of yam fries that were cooked in the oven until nice and crispy! I know what you’re thinking “Not another oven yam fry recipe!”. So I will not bother you with another…this time.
Aussie-ish Open-Face Bison Burgers
1 lb ground bison
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 large free-range egg
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 large red onion, sliced
6 slices of fresh pineapple
1 T coconut oil, melted
2 T olive oil (or any other fat)
10 dandelion leaves, washed
- Preheat your grill to medium heat
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, heat 1 T of olive oil and add the onions, cook until they are soft but not browning
- In a bowl mix together the ground bison, the pepper, sea salt and egg and shape the meat in to six patties, brush the outside with 1 T olive oil and grill each side for 4-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F
- Brush the pineapple slices with the coconut oil and grill each side for about 3 minutes or until it starts to caramelize
- For each burger place two dandelion leaves on the plate and top with a patty, the red onion, a tablespoon of beet ketchup and grilled pineapple.
- Serve with yam fries, a salad, or veggies.